Sunday, February 08, 2009

Clean Bill of Health

Okay so I have PCOS, Thyroiditis, and Pityriasis Rosea - but I'm healthy!!!!! (And no I'm not a hypochondriac)


Many of you know that I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) a few years ago. That's a huge reason why I originally started seeing a naturopathic doctor. So last fall my health seemed pretty good and Shane and I were thinking of trying to get pregnant so I thought I'd see a medical doctor again. MD didn't like what he saw with my thyroid test results and sent me to an endocrinologist who told me not to get pregnant until we know what's going on - and to quickly get off my naturopathic supplements. So I've spent the past few months getting off supplements that help even out my mood while trying to deal with the possibility of having some serious thyroid problem & the sadness that I wasn't able to get pregnant. I am just so thankful that I joined a new church earlier last fall & had so many people praying for me and encouraging me. Needless to say, it's been pretty stressful for me dealing with health issues, learning how to run a business & the stress of the business running in the red.


So moving into the new year - I went back to teaching full time & we had some more students enroll, making the business run in the black (so less stressful financially) but a huge drain on my time and making time management more stressful. And many of you know that time management isn't a strong point for me. Did I mention I've been dealing with all this while going off supplements that helped even out my mood? Thankfully my naturopathic doctor put me on some adrenal gland support so I've been doing better. A couple weeks ago I had all these little red spots appear all over me. It's pityriasis rosea - little dry spots, not contagious, and doctor's don't know what causes it (maybe a virus - and considering my stress & lower immunity from thyroid - a strong possibility). Apparently it will go away on its own in 6-8 weeks.


On Wednesday I met with my endocrinologist and he told me that I have thyroiditis. Basically what was going on with my thyroid was that it was quite high for a few months and is now a little low for a few months, and it will go away within 6 months. Again, doctor's don't know what causes it but will blame it on a virus that attacked my thyroid. My naturopathic doctor has a different theory (my previous, very bad naturopathic doctor put me on thyroid supplements when I didn't need it, then my thyroid got lazy thinking it didn't have to do anything, and it just took a while for it to do its job properly) He was taking me off my supplements much slower, so my thyroid would work on it own & wouldn't experience any crazy changes to my body/mood. And yes there is a more medical definition that he gave me that has to do with the interrelation between all my glands, but I like the layman's definition, it's at least understandable.


So what does all mean? That on Friday I got the go ahead from 3 doctor's to try to get pregnant! My PCOS is being treated/handled just fine naturally (no drugs required) and my other two crazy things will just go away. My endocrinologist's exact words "Get trying, good luck!"


Of course, I don't know yet if Shane and I will start trying right now or not as we still have LOTS to figure out with the business, buying a house, and the big one - I've decided to take a Montessori Infant/Toddler training. It's never been offered in Canada before and likely not going to be offered again. The trainer is being brought in from Mexico (don't worry, the course is in English). The course is this summer for 2 months, observations, projects, and a one week practicum during the year, and next summer for 2 months. A big investment time wise and financially but I am excited about the possibilities of what I can do with my training afterwards. Maybe run prenatal, Mommy & baby Montessori programs. Maybe run an infant/toddler daycare. Maybe have Montessori toddler classes. I don't know yet and will see what I feel passionate about after I finish the training. And then we'll see about future expansion for the preschool. So my question for all you mom's, at what age would you feel comfortable putting you baby in daycare for 2 months? (trying to fit in having a baby and do the course next summer)


And eventually I will post photos/stories of my amazing trip to Europe last summer. It's been a busy past few months! Also, I am excited that both my sister and my sister-in-law are going to be having babies this summer! More nieces/nephews! Isabelle is now 3.5 and loving her Montessori preschool in Calgary. Kyla is almost 2 and talking up a storm. Isabelle is convinced her next sibling will be another girl. James in Williams Lake is 1.5 and just the easy going little guy his parents are. As for Quito, she is wonderful! We are really enjoying her! We love taking her to Beagle Meetup once a month and love that she gets us out for walks/jogs everyday.

4 comments:

Catherine Koning said...

Sounds like everything is under control. Yeah!!! I am waiting for my thyroid retesting, I will be going in a couple weeks. You and I will have to get together after I see my doctor so we can chat about this 'anomaly' that is the thyroid. Glad to hear that you are feeling better and things are looking up!!

Natalie Mitchell said...

Hi Carrie,

I can't wait to see you this summer of you come for a visit again. I am glad that your medical situation seems to be settling down. I know what it feels like to not be in control of your own body and your own emotions. Best of luck with the baby phase in your life and I hope you both have fun trying!!

Miss you lots,
Nat

Anonymous said...

wow, I'm glad your medical issues are being figured out and you got the go ahead for baby making! YAY!! you're very own little alien ;) ;)
There's still a lot to figure out as far as your business and time planning for all of this, but I know you'll work something out!

As for what age for daycare...I'd say, not before 4 months. The first few months are so precious, and you really want that time to bond and get to know each other. Around 4-6 months it will likely start eating some cereal food for the first time, and hopefully sleep through the night so you'll feel more rested to be in a classroom/learning situation.

How exciting Carrie, looks like 2009 is going to be a fun year for you! :)

Trisha said...

Hey Carrie,

Congrats. I'm so happy to hear that you go the go ahead. I am also glad to hear that you guys are in the black, that must be a huge relief for both you and Shane and your relationship.

In regards to the age for daycare, I would say 6 months because if you breastfeed they recommend you continue until 6 months. So you will likely introduce solids at 6 months or shortly before making it easier on you with regards to feeding times and pumping. And like Sarah said you just want to enjoy those first few months because they go way too fast...I can't believe its been 5 months for me already.