Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hello Ladies.. (in the old spice guy voice)

Hello ladies,
I thought I should post an update since a hole bunch of stuff has been happening in the last month. So where to begin.. well in May I graduated from BCIT with an Advanced Diploma in Geographic Information Systems.. which is basically I make maps and find stuff using some crazy software on the computer. It was a difficult 8 months filled with 8-9 classes in a semester plus labs. Holy!
I survived and entered the month of June with optimism of a job right a way. well that did not happen. I must of applied to 30+ companies within southern BC and received only 1 interview. I wasn't alone in this endeavour either most of my classmates where in the same boat. So I started applying outside of BC and at the beginning of August I had a phone interview with Polar Geomatic Solutions in Red Deer. The next day I got the job! yay! They wanted me there as soon as possible so within the week I had travelled up to PG to pick up a truck that my dad is loaning me, pack up my stuff in Vancouver and drove to Airdrie.
I arrived here Friday night and had some places to look at saturday. These places were move in ready all i had to do was take a peak and say ill take it. but that did not work out so well. On my way into Red Deer 2 places called and said they were already rented but they had some available on the 1st if I wanted to check them out. So I thought might as well just in case I cannot find something sooner. So I get into Red Deer and arrive at an apartment building that had a suite available now, I get in and OMG gross! blarg! it was so small and the cheap flooring was peeling. The kitchen was probably the smallest kitchen I have ever seen in an apartment. Needless to say I was not taking this one. So now I was left with finding new apartments that were available immediately. Here is a warning for you ladies... do not use craigslist! lol well you can but be wary about it. A lot of the places that were listed said available now yet when I called they were available September 15th... definitely not going to work. So after spending most of my day trying to find a place that was now available I ended up at one of the original buildings I was looking at that had a 2 bedroom available for the 1st. Went in and the suite is so nice! It gets the morning sun and overlooks a park. So I decided I wasnt going to find anything else since they keep getting snatched up or are total dives. So Im moving in to my new place on the 1st! Right now I will be staying in Airdrie with a friends parents (to which no words can express my gratitude for their generosity) and I will commute to work until I can move in.
So this means I shall be joining the Alberta chapter! I will contact the girls once I am no longer living out of a suitcase.. which by the way I have to find my shoes for work... hmm anyhoo thats what is new with me, hope all is well with you all.
~Andrea D

4 comments:

Natalie Mitchell said...

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to Alberta. A BIG tip.... Craig's list is a BC thing. Here we use kijiji.ca and for a rental use www.rentfaster.ca or homerent.ca as that is where the quality rentals are posted. I'm in Calgary if you want to visit, since Airdrie is close. Good luck with the rental!

Gina said...

Yay for another Alberta chapter member! Hope you find an amazing place soon and congrats on the new job! Hope we can all get together at some point, I'm hoping to make a trip to Calgary sometime in the fall and I'd love to meet you.

Carrie said...

Great to hear things are going well for you in AB. We'll miss you here!

Cheryl Abraham said...

I am glad to hear that you found a place to live. It can really add to the stress when you have to move but have no place to live. Congradulations on finding a place that sounds nice. And yayy another member for the Albera chapter!!!